April 25, 2009
Campbell talks future at Michigan, NHL Draft
Yesterday, U-M 2010 goalie commitment Jack Campbell talked about his success at the IIHF World Under-18 Championships. Today, he talks about his future, including the likelihood that he fulfills his promise to become a Wolverine
Bob Miller: What are your hockey plans for next season?
Campbell: "As for next season, there is nothing going through my mind right now other than winning another gold medal at the 2010 IIHF U-18s. I know we can do it and I know we will do it.
"As far as personal goals for next season, I am striving to be in Regina next year representing my country at the World Junior Championships. This would be a tremendous opportunity that I am trying to take full advantage of. Anytime you get the opportunity to represent your country its special.
"What happens during the season will take care of what happens in June [for the NHL Draft]. That's all I can worry about."
Miller: What are your feelings about possibly playing in the OHL since Windsor owns your rights?
Campbell: "Michigan fans have nothing to worry about from Jack Campbell. I will be wearing a Michigan jersey in 2010 if it lies in my own hands. However, my goal is to play in the NHL at a young age and if all goes accordingly, hopefully in June I'll be off the draft board early. If that is the case, then it is up to the team that holds my rights to decide what lies ahead. But I will make a valiant effort to keep my word faithful to U-M."
Miller: What goalie(s) did you idolize growing up? Anyone who you tried to model yourself after?
Campbell: "Well, I have always loved Marty Turco -- nothing really to do with Michigan, but he is just so athletic and fun to watch.
"As far as modeling my game after a goalie, there really isn't just one. I like to take different pieces of goalies and try to come up with my own style. For instance, I try to play the puck like Marty Turco. I am working on having poise and confidence like Carey Price at such a young age, having the leadership of a Roberto Luongo. Mikka Kiprusoff is about as fundamentally sound as they get. Those are the things those guys are the best in the world at and I am just trying to apply those skills to my game."
Miller: After the stress of the season, what are your plans for having a little fun this summer?
Campbell: "This season has been a blast and it couldn't have gone better. However, next season is the biggest year of my hockey career to date and I am going to be as ready as I possibly can be. So, my summer will be consisting of weights, lots of rubber [treadmill], and lots of protein shakes. That will be 99 percent of my summer, but for the other 1 percent, I am sure you can find me out fishing somewhere or hanging with my friends playing pickup basketball."
...More... To continue reading this article you must be a member. Sign Up Now for a FREE Trial