October 22, 2007

Hunt searching for answers for O-Line

No one is more upset about the poor performance of South Carolina's offensive line in last Saturday's 17-6 loss to Vanderbilt than line coach John Hunt.

"It was really disappointing to me," Hunt said. "Obviously, we gave up a ton of sacks. Not all of them were on (the offensive linemen). But there were a lot of pressures that didn't result in sacks that were on us. It was frustrating to me. We have to find the right guys to get in there and take a stand."

USC gave up seven sacks and committed five false start penalties in one of its worst performances of the Steve Spurrier era. So far this season, the offensive line has surrendered a league-high 26 sacks.

"I had hoped we would improve in small increments," Hunt said. "I didn't think we would go backwards like I thought we did. I think it was a regression by a lot of people on offense, but it was surely a regression by us as well."

The five false start penalties were especially galling, Hunt said.

"I wasn't happy about that," Hunt said. "I can't think of one or two for the entire year and we come out with five by four different people. It was undisciplined on their part."

Left tackle Jamon Meredith played his worst game in three years, Hunt said, adding he nearly replaced the redshirt junior with freshman Heath Batchelor in the latter stages of the game.


...More... To continue reading this article you must be a member. Sign Up Now!